Monday, March 12, 2012

The Dreadful Monday Morning Workout


For me personally, mornings are the best time for me to get my power workout in for the day.  It starts my day of right, wakes me up a bit before my work day beings and best of all,come the end of the day…my workout is done! Giving me extra time to either get another workout out in (sometimes this is when I choose to take a relaxed run in a scenic place) or just do whatever I want for the rest of the night. Also it doesn’t give me a chance to make an excuse to not get to the gym (aka “I’m too tired from the workday” or “I have so much to get done still!”)…but if you’re anything like me, getting going in the morning, especially on Mondays is the worst!  So here’s some tips to make it a little less painful:

Keeping up a workout schedule and maintaining that schedule, even when we don’t feel like it, is a key step in any successful exercise regime. While this may be true, like I said, it can be particularly difficult to stick to come Monday morning. We’ve become sluggish over the weekend, we have a full work week ahead of us and despite our best intentions, we just don’t want to face it.

To fix this problem, nip it in the bud before it can even get started. One of the most difficult parts of a Monday workout is feeling too tired. Counteract this by getting plenty of rest Sunday night, so you wake rejuvenated and ready to get moving. Also, get your gym bag packed up Sunday evening and place it by the door, so you have everything you need ready and waiting. In this manner, you don’t have to get discouraged by the thought that all your workout materials are scattered around the house.

Lack of motivation can also be a factor in feeling sluggish toward a Monday workout. Solve this by making the Monday exercise something that you love to do. If you enjoy swimming, make Monday’s exercise a few laps in the pool. If you love music, do a hip hop aerobics routine to your favorite tunes. Or, plan a Pilates session followed by some time in the gym sauna. This strategy can turn something grueling into something you actually look forward to.

Whatever you do, remember to be strict with yourself come Monday morning. It will set the tone for your whole week and keep you motivated in the days to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment